Monday, May 11, 2009

PostHeaderIcon Star Trek

I have to say, I thoroughly enjoyed the movie -- saw it in IMAX this weekend. I'll give it 4 out of 5 stars.

My biggest disappointment with the film had nothing to do with how J. J. Abrams tinkered with the storyline... tinkering with the timelines is as much a part of the Star Trek orthodoxy as anything.

Just as when Spock was killed off in the "Wrath of Khan", sometimes a well-timed death (Kirk's father, Spock's mother, Vulcan) is just what is needed to shake off the calcification in the plot-lines that have become too revered by the Trekkie faithful.

I did, however, expect a little more from the score. I know the composer took the cue from the whole effort to re-imagine the franchise, but too much so for my tastes. We shouldn't have had to wait through the entire film before getting a musical nod to the themes from the television show and the first "Star Trek: The Motion Picture". That, and it seemed to be trying just a little too hard. My opinion.

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Archive